A long time ago (a year ago), in a far away magical land (Palm Desert), a bunch of us stayed in a fabulous desert house to celebrate Sarah’s, of VerySarie.com, birthday. The gorgeous xeriscaped yard was just beyond, and there was bougainvillea tumbling along all of the walls. Of course, it inspired a cocktail; perfect for 100-ish degree nights, hanging out with friends and, hopefully, a few desert chickens.
For one serving you’ll be requiring:
- 2.5 oz. pink, sparkling wine (something not tooooo sweet)
- 2.5 oz. fresh-squeezed orange juice (preferably blood orange)
- 2.5 oz. freshly-brewed, then cooled hibiscus tea
- 1 oz. homemade grenadine:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened organic pomegranate juice
- 1/2 lemon
- .5 oz. elderflower liqueur
- .5 maraschino liqueur
- 5 dashes cardamom bitters
- bougainvillea blossoms for garnish
Next, you want to brew your hibiscus tea according to the instructions, and let thoroughly cool.
In a shaker, combine all ingredients, except champagne. Add ice, and shake until cool. In a double old-fashioned glass, or highball, add ice, and then strain cocktail mixture into glass. Top with sparkling wine, and a bougainvillea blossom.
I’m ready to go back to the desert. Who’s with me???